Great Tang Idyll Volume 02 Chapter 114

Shout out to Dan for commissioning chapters 108-117!

Chapter 114 A Joy In The Heart

When Magistrate Jia was about to enter the yard, the woman inside had already spotted the group of people. She raised her head to take a look and took the child back into her arms. She said to Magistrate Jia, "It turns out that the magistrate has come. I will go ask my in-laws to come out."


As the woman spoke, she didn't even look at the other bailiffs. She went in with the child in her arms. Immediately, an old man and an old lady came out. The two of them looked very happy. They hurried to the gate of the courtyard and opened the door. Looking at Magistrate Jia, the old man said, "My lord, I didn't expect you to come, please come inside."


"Uncle Song, today, we’re..."


"Oh, all of you are here too. There’s not enough space in the house for everyone to come in. Find a spot yourself.” The old man didn't wait for Bailiff Tong to finish his sentence. He turned his head to the side and threw a sentence out. His smile returned when he turned to face Magistrate Jia again.


"We have embarrassed ourselves in front of my lord. Our house is small, and we don’t have anything to treat my lord with. My son, Yang'er, is ignorant, so my lord must look after him."


Magistrate Jia surveyed the yard carefully. The ground was covered with snow, and only the road under his feet was covered with sand. Looking at the house again, he wondered how long the paper had been glued onto the windows1 for; the paper was yellowed and blackened. Many of the tiles on the roof of the house were shattered. When he entered the house, only two bricks were used as a door threshold, and the remaining floor was just dirt.


In this house, there were only three rooms—two big and one small. The bigger rooms were for sleeping and the small one was used as a kitchen. A puff of smoke came out of the kitchen, and following that was the slight coughing sound of children.


"My lord, sit here." After entering a room, Song Yang's father wiped the wooden edge of the heated brick bed with his sleeve, and said embarrassedly to Magistrate Jia.


In normal times, Magistrate Jia would never sit down. Today, he suddenly had an idea in his mind. He immediately walked over and sat down. He touched the mat on the bed with his hand and it was still warm, not so cold— the furnace under the bed must have been lit. 

 

He had learned what a heated brick bed was before. Under the mat and top bricklayer, the inside was not that complicated. It was just mud, or bricks that have been laid according to a specific order.  This kind of heated brick bed can be seen in any house in the San’shui County. 


But the furnishings in this room and the clothes worn by a family of four were not so good. Didn’t the Zhang family take care of the bailiff’s family? Why is his house like this? Why did his family treat the other bailiffs like that?


Magistrate Jia noticed this, and after sitting down, he asked Song Yang's father, "Brother Song, it seems that your family is a little tight on money. Is it the same for other bailiffs’ families?"


"Sigh~! To be honest, only ten or so bailiff’s families are like this. My son is ignorant and often offends people." Father Song said with a sigh.


"Oh, that's not right, Song...I know about Song Yang. He's honest and works hard, yet his house is like this. Brother Song, things cannot go on like this. I have some silver taels, take it and use it. Let Song Yang work full heartedly."


Magistrate Jia finally found an opportunity. He took out a few pieces of silver and a string with approximately forty coins on it from the pouch in his sleeve. He grabbed Father Song's hand and stuffed the money into his hand.


It was not like he was only allowed to eat at specifically designated areas whenever he wanted to eat. He always kept around twenty taels of silver on himself; he didn’t mind the weight. This time, he took out twelve or thirteen taels out.


Father Song held the silver money in his hand, and returned it back to the Magistrate with slightly trembling hands, "My lord, you mustn't do this. How could I take this money? My lord, take it back quickly, at home..."


"It’s fine. Brother Song, you have a good son. This small amount of money is nothing. How is it that the other bailiffs can take other people’s money, but I can’t give anything away?"


Of course Magistrate Jia wouldn't take the money back. His eyes widened in displeasure.


"My lord, you are such a good official. Don't worry, my lord. Once my boy comes back, I will tell him to obey my lord's words in the future and never slack off." Father Song spoke excitedly, his face flushed red.


Seeing that Song Yang's father had collected the money, the magistrate was relieved. He looked at the house and said with a smile, "Brother Song, when I came out today, I didn't bring too much money with me. I will find a way tomorrow to make sure that Brother Song's family can live more well."


After saying this, the Magistrate bid him farewell. He was afraid that the bailiffs outside would become anxious and it would be bad if they rushed in and saw what happened.


Father Song quickly got up to see him off. Once Magistrate Jia came out, he noticed that the bailiffs who followed him didn't even enter the yard, but just stood outside. Magistrate Jia felt a little more at ease.


"My lord, should we let someone move the items to the next house? My lord can take the chance to go over there too." Bailiff Tong made plans for Magistrate Jia again at this time.


"Okay, let's go to the next one." Magistrate Jia didn't look angry this time, and agreed very naturally. With a plan in mind now, he doesn't mind spending a few more days traveling around the county. Since he had spent the money, he might as well make a name for himself.


After the whole day passed, Magistrate Jia dragged his tired body back to the Administrative Office. As soon as he entered the Administrative Office, his face sank, and he said to the two bailiffs who were standing guard here, “Where is Song Yang? Call him over for me. Hmph! How dare he do such a thing."

 

One of the two confused bailiffs left, and the other leaned over to Magistrate Jia and asked, "My lord, what's wrong with Song Yang? Did he do something wrong? I can guarantee that Brother Song usually does the best work. My house is not too far from his. His house is like mine– we don’t have a lot and life is a bit difficult."


Magistrate Jia was overjoyed. He felt like he had just found another person who he could win over. When he was about to speak, he suddenly remembered something, and said with a sullen face, "It has nothing to do with the rest of you. I have a reason to look for him. This is too unreasonable, hmph."


After tossing out these words, Magistrate Jia walked towards the study. After feeling scared for a short period of time, he felt that everyone around him, except Song Yang, might be the Zhang Manor’s spy. When the time comes, I need to ask Song Yang which other people I can win over. Judging by his situation at home, he was unlike the others and wasn’t taken care of by the Zhang Manor. He had a child in his family, so according to precedents, the Zhang Manor should have given him some benefits.


It didn't take long for Song Yang to walk in from the outside. It seemed that he ran the entire way back. There was a lot of sweat on his forehead, and the hair next to his ears was wet.


"My lord, are you looking for me?" Song Yang asked after trying to catch his breath, He tried his best to calm his breathing.


"Yes, you're back? Sit down and drink some water first." Magistrate Jia put a smile on his face and he spoke to Song Yang with an extremely friendly tone. He poured a bowl of water for Song Yang and motioned for him to drink.


posted on dramantics.blogspot.com 

Song Yang seemed to be a little nervous because he had never been treated like this before. He rubbed his hands together, and said in a low voice, "My lord, if you have anything for me to do, please hurry up and tell me. I’ll get right to it."


Magistrate Jia waved his hand and said, "Actually, there is nothing much. But if there really is something, then it really isn’t a trivial matter. Let me ask you, your life is like that at your home, why didn't you tell me about this matter? Are you afraid that I would harm you?"


"My lord, you went to my house? Ah, my lord, there is nothing in my house. There wasn't even tea for you to drink when you were there. Are you...?" Song Yang appeared to be very embarrassed as he spoke awkwardly.


"There was water. Plain boiled water is also good. I am content with being able to drink such good water from your home. Song Yang, this matter is because of you. Why don't you tell me about your family's affairs? If I knew about this, how could I let your family live that poorly? 


Come, come, here is some money, you take it first. I have left some for your father earlier. When I got back here, I thought, the New Year is coming and that small amount of money is simply not enough to do anything."

 

While talking, Magistrate Jia pulled out the drawer on his desk. There were two ingots of silver in it. Magistrate Jia took out the silver without thinking, and put it on the table and pushed it to Song. in front of the sun.


Song Yang looked at the silver blankly, and said with a little worry, "My lord, I know what it’s like at my home, but how could I let my lord worry about  my family? My lord, I didn't expect that you would leave money for my family. We absolutely cannot keep this money. Perhaps when it is almost the 30th, I’ll have some items that I could bring home.”


"Are you expecting that the Zhang Manor would give it to you? Look at the other bailiff, and then look at yourself. It is obvious that the Zhang Manor clearly doesn't like your family. It would have been fine if I didn’t know about this, but since I have seen it, I can't ignore it. Take it. I order you to keep it. As long as you do your job well in the Administrative Office, I will definitely not mistreat you."


Seeing Song Yang's appearance, Magistrate Jia was very satisfied with the effect of using money on him. He spoke with a loud voice and forced the money into Song Yang's arms.


Song Yang covered the place where the silver was placed with his hand, and spoke emotionally, "My lord, you are so kind to me. If you need anything in the future, I am willing to put in all of my effort. This is great now, I don't have to worry that I won't have anything for the New Year. My lord, there are a few others that are like me.”


"Really? There are other families that are not doing well? Did the Zhang Manor not give you guys anything?" Magistrate Jia deliberately asked with a surprised look.


"They do, but just a little bit. Others are given a picul of food, but when it comes to our turn, we get less than a dou2. We are all bailiffs, so why do they get more? My family had a child recently. If it weren’t for the fact that I don’t know how to do other work, I  really don't want to continue to work as a bailiff."


A sad expression appeared on Song Yang's face, and as he spoke, he lowered his head, and it seemed that he was indeed dissatisfied.


This was what Magistrate Jia wanted. He smiled, then stood up and patted Song Yang on the shoulder, and said, "Song Yang, I am very optimistic about you. You will definitely be better than others in the future. Oh, there are other people whose families’ conditions are the same as yours? In that case, let's go. Follow me to the warehouse in the back. You said there are several people. I will give each person thirty taels, and you can be given another ten taels.


This year’s harvest is a bit poor. I have decided. I want to let this group of people who work but are not valued by other to spend a good New Year. How much is needed?"


"Let me think about it. One, two...My lord, there are not too many people. Together, there are only 33 people. Compared with the other 600 plus people, it is really not that much." Song Yang heard Magistrate Jia’s words. He began to count on the spot, and finally gave a number. There were thirty-three people.


Magistrate Jia didn't think there were this many people. Thirty-three people, and if he counted Song Yang, that would be thirty-four people. It was nothing more than a thousand or so strings of coins. As long as he could get them to obey him, so what if he had to spend some money? This was better than having other people’s spies around himself all the time.


Song Yang was so excited that he didn't know which leg to move first. He kept saying, "Thank you my lord, thank you my lord."


When he got to the place in the back where he put the money in, Magistrate Jia was a little troubled. There was so much money; it was impossible for Song Yang to move all of it out and distribute it to others by himself. One, was too heavy, and two, the Magistrate wanted to hand the money out by himself, so he said to Song Yang,


"Go and find those thirty-three people. Remember, when you approach them, don't tell them what's going on. And watch them carefully. If anyone has a good relationship with the Zhang family, you don't need to bring them over. Do you understand?"


posted on dramantics.blogspot.com 

 

"Yes, I understand, I have been waiting for this day for a long time. My lord, don't worry, the people I’m going to bring over will be like me. There will be no mistakes. However, my lord, where did you get all of this money from? What if other people find out and cause trouble for you?"


Song Yang showed his clever side at this time, and spoke to Magistrate Jia. He tried to reassure the Magistrate but he was also worried.


The Magistrate was even happier now. Song Yang didn't know where his money came from, which meant that Song Yang was not trusted by the Zhang family. As for whether this person was reliable or not, he would have to test him.


Thinking of this, Magistrate Jia said to Song Yang, "You don't need to worry about the money. You just need to bring those people over. Don't worry, after this year is over, I will promote you. Hmph, those people want to deceive but I can’t tolerate having a single grain of sand in my eyes."


"Yes, I understand. My lord. Thank you for your trust. I'll go and find the people. My lord, please wait a moment." Song Yang said excitedly. He turned around and ran out of the yard.


Looking at Song Yang's leaving figure, Magistrate Jia was not so relieved, and felt that he had to test them a few more times. Otherwise, if any of these people were spies planted by the Zhang manor, then too much would be implicated. 


Thinking of this, Magistrate Jia took out the silver and money that should be used. In order to prevent other bailiffs from finding out, this time, he did not take the fabric and silk, but chose some pieces of silver and copper coins, which were easy to carry and would not be seen by others. 


After a while, Song Yang was the first one to come back. He entered the place by himself and said to Magistrate Jia, "My lord, I didn't find all of the people. I only found twenty people. Should I let them come in first? Or do you want me to help you carry things out?"


"There’s no need to carry it out. Tell all of them to come in. I’m not suspicious of the people that work for me." Magistrate Jia has shown generosity this time. He did understand how to buy people's loyalty, but he didn't have the opportunity before. Now he has found a breakthrough, so how could he be willing to give up for no reason?


Song Yang stared at Magistrate Jia for a while, nodded earnestly. He turned around and ran out. When he came back again, there were 20 bailiffs behind him who all looked very honest and simple.

Magistrate Jia was even more concerned. It seemed that the Zhang Manor favored those who were sly, and were not so good to honest people like them. In particular, Bailiff Tong was originally a thug. Only people like them were used by the Zhang Manor.

"My lord." Under Song Yang’s lead, these twenty people simultaneously greeted the magistrate. Their voices were loud and powerful.

"Okay, okay, all of you are good. I did not make the wrong judgement." Magistrate Jia was happy when he heard the organized voices. These were real bailiffs, not that group of random thugs.

"Come over and let me take a good look at all of you. It's a pity that you are such capable people but you have been ostracized from the other bailiffs. Don't worry. As long as I am here, you will not worry about your family's affairs. Come, come forward one by one, and I will give you your New Year's money."

Magistrate Jia took a good look at these twenty-one people, and the more he looked, the more he felt that this was a feasible plan. He said a few words and placed the money out in front of himself. He beckoned them to come over.

"My lord, are you really giving us money? My lord, how will we repay you for doing this?" One of the bailiffs might have been a little too excited. After seeing the money on the ground and hearing Magistrate Jia’s words, he actually cried.

This was the result that Magistrate Jia just wanted to see so he was equally excited in his heart. He deliberately put on a calm look on his face, and said solemnly, "All of you are this Administrative Office’s bailiffs, so how could I not care about you? How will a bailiff, who is constantly worrying about whether his family is doing well of not, do his work well

I am the magistrate of the San’shui County. Letting the people under my governance live a good life is what I should do. Why would I need to be repaid? As long as all of you do your work seriously in the future, then that is the best payment for me."

 "My lord, only now did I know that my lord is a good official. In the past, I heard others say that my lord came here to do bad things, and I really believed it. My lord, I am sorry. My lord, don't worry, I will never believe what other people say. If anyone dares say anything, I will teach him a lesson."


The other bailiffs also cried at this time. For some reason, not only were their eyes red, but their faces were also red, and they looked like they were in a lot of pain. .


Magistrate Jia was happy, and when he heard the bailiff's words, he quickly said, "No, I won't care about what other people say, and you shouldn't argue with others about this matter. Eventually, they will understand my intentions. Do you have this memorized?"


He was afraid. He was afraid that if those people really said something, the twenty-one people in front of him would go over to defend him and tell them about the money he gave them. Then it would be very likely that these twenty-one people would have to leave the Administrative Office and he would always have people following him. 


posted on dramantics.blogspot.com 

Song Yang was the first to assure him, "My lord, please rest assured, I will definitely obey my lord and do whatever my lord says. Even if others say bad things about my lord, I will not cause trouble."


With a person taking lead, the other bailiffs also pledged.


"Yes, it should be like this. Come here one by one, and I will give you money." Magistrate Jia was relieved for the time being. He picked up some copper coins and silver pieces, and handed them one by one according to the place where the bailiff stood. Each person’s hands shook as they accepted the money. Some wanted to say a few words, but they couldn't say it, and they looked like they would cry the moment they start speaking. .


After he finished distributing the money and watching them put it away, Magistrate Jia felt like a big stone had been lifted off his chest. He felt like he should test them and said,


"Tomorrow, I will go to Lin’he Village in the county to take a look, and send some rice flour and other things over there. Go there tomorrow to patrol the area first. Remember, if you encounter other bailiffs, don't say the wrong thing. I always felt that it would be difficult for Bailiff Tong, who was once a gangster, to accomplish great achievements,


Song Yang, you also have an important task to do tomorrow. Don't go on duty. No matter what other arrangements others make, you must go to the Little Luo’shui Wharf to see if there are any boats stopping by, and record down all of the freights for me. "


"I will follow my lord’s orders." Song Yang performed the best among these bailiffs. Hearing  Magistrate Jia’s orders, he immediately agreed.


The other bailiff also responded. This time, they were not as orerdly as before, so Magistrate Jia knew that they did not practice this in advance.


"That's all. All of you can leave now. Remember to go home quickly, and let your family buy some things for the New Year with the money." Magistrate Jia waved his hand and told the bailiffs to leave.


Once the bailiff left, Magistrate Jia paced back and forth in the yard by himself, occasionally recalling those bailiffs’ expressions. He thought about which ones were pretending and which ones were real. In the end, he found that all of the bailiffs had red eyes. Some even gritted their teeth when talking about the Zhang Manor.


After walking back and forth for half an hour, Magistrate Jia did not find any problem with the bailiffs, but he was still worried. He returned to the backyard and found his wife and said, "Tomorrow, bring two of our servants with you to the Little Luo’shui. Go over there to see what kind of ships dock there and what kind of goods are on board, and about how much. Remember, you need to change your clothes, change your hairstyle, and paint your face."


"My husband, is there something wrong? If there is danger, then let’s not keep this official title and leave here early. I has been worried that this is not a place we can control." Magistrate Jia’s wife heard his arrangement and her first thought was that there was trouble, perhaps even life-threatening.


"What do women know? Where is the danger? No one can control your husband, me. Once I find an opportunity, I wil let them see how powerful I am. Remember, don't make a mistake."


This was the last thing Magistrate Jia wanted to hear, especially now that he thinks that he has available manpower, so why would he leave? Wouldn't he become a laughingstock for those who fought with him for this position at the beginning?


"What my husband said is correct. My husband is the most capable. I will go arrange this right now. My husband, you should rest earlier." Magistrate Jia’s wife immediately knew what to say, and explained it according to what he wanted to hear. She turned around and left quietly.


Magistrate Jia was happy because of what he encountered today and his listening wife. He said to his wife, who hadn't gone far yet, "Tonight, I'll go to your place to sleep."


Translator’s Notes 


  1. Paper glued onto windows 

Paper or silk is used to fill windows and doors to allow some light in but block out the wind. 


  1. Dou 斗

Unit to measure weight. During the Tang Dynasty, one dou is six catties or 1/10th of a picul.



Please leave a comment or a small donation to show support!

Comments

  1. He is soooooo falling into a trap, If he was not so corrupt aI would feel pity.
    Thank you for your hard work

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This Quick Transmigration Experience Is A Bit Sweet Chapter 01

This Quick Transmigration Experience Is A Bit Sweet Chapter 02

This Quick Transmigration Experience Is A Bit Sweet Chapter 17